8.24.2016

my foundation has whaaaatttt?!

Ever wonder what is in your makeup bag?  More specifically, your makeup?  As in...what do all those long, funny looking, mostly unpronounceable words listed under "Ingredients" on the side of your favorite foundation box really mean?

Working in retail cosmetics for the past several years, I get asked about ingredients so frequently that I often find myself stumped by what is really in the products that I sell.  So I have started researching ingredients online in order to better perform my job and to educate myself so that my own skin is well taken care of.

There are so many allergies now that I can recall a time when I was doing a foundation match on a young girl for MAC Cosmetics Face and Body Foundation, which is primarily water based and considered to be a very mild foundation.  As I swiped my brush on the girl's face with the Face and Body Foundation, her skin immediately broke out in hives!  I couldn't believe how fast her skin reacted!  The girl didn't even have time to realize her skin was having a reaction, but I immediately wiped off the foundation with water and a tissue.

Point of the story, you just never know how your skin or a customer's skin will react so it is important to educate ourselves on the ingredients of the products being put on our faces.  With that said, I present to you...


This website is amazing for listing all the ingredients in popular cosmetics and skin care products along with a brief description and rating on acne level, safety level, and even allergy level.  Check it out!!